The holders Portugal led by their talismanic captain, Cristiano Ronaldo will be hoping to get their title defense to a positive start in their opening match against Hungary. With names such as Ronaldo, Bernado Silva, Bruno Fernandez and Ruben Diaz and several other stars, Portugal look good on paper to comfortably win this match, but this competition has provided quite a number of surprises so nothing is guaranteed.
Hungary are the underdogs in this group of death which also comprises of France and Germany, but that may prove to be an advantage to them as they have nothing to lose since no-one expect them to survive such a group. Hungary are on an 11-match unbeaten run so Portugal must never be complacent with a team with such a healthy record.
Hungary will be encouraged by the fact that this match is played on home soil at the Ferenc Puskás Stadium, but will that be enough for them to stop Cristiano Ronaldo, who is now just five goals shy of a world-record 109 in international football from adding to his tally?
Head-to-Head Portugal vs Hungary
- Portugal have won 4 of the past 5 games against Hungary, the only match they failed to win ended 3 all.
- The last game played between these two teams was on the 09/03/2017, and Portugal won it 1-0.
Portugal last 5 matches
- Portugal have won 3 of the past 5 matches and drawn 2.
- Portugal thrashed Isreal 4-0 in their most recent match on the 9th of June 2021.
Hungary last 5 matches
- Hungary have won 3 of the past 5 matches, and drawn 2.
- Hungary drew their most recent match with the Republic of Ireland 0-0.
Our correct score prediction is 2-1 in favour of Hungary.
Over 2.5 Tip
The total goals will be over 2.5 for this match.
France vs Germany Tips
This is the match on everyone’s lips pitting the World Champions, France against the 2014 World Cup winners Germany. Jose Mourinho has tipped France to go all the way and win this edition of the Euros because France have arguably the best squad at this tournament with the likes of Mbappe, Pogba, Griezzmann, Benzema, Giroud, Dembele, Kante and several other world class players, it is no surprise they are the favourites to win the tournament.
Germany is by no means an average side, of course this squad cannot be compared to the one which won the world cup in 2014 and embarrassed Brazil 7-1 in the process, but there is quite a number of superstars in this team and it will not be a surprise if they even go on to win the match because they are a strong side. Some of the players in the German camp include veterans Thomas Muller and Mats Hummels and several other stars like Serge Gnabry, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gundogan, Kai Havertz, Toni Kroos and Leeroy Sane among others.
Recent history suggests that there is only one winner in this match and that winner is France, this is so because the French have completely dominated Germany in the past and the trend may continue because France is far superior to Germany.
Head-to-Head France vs Germany
- France have won 3 of the past 5 games against Germany, the other two matches ended as draws.
- The last game played between these two teams was on the 10/16/2018, when France beat Germany 2-1 in the Nations League.
France last 5 matches
- France have won 4 of the past 5 matches and drawn only 1.
- In their most recent match on the 8th of June 2021, France walloped Bulgaria 3-0.
Germany last 5 matches
- Germany have won 3 of the past 5 matches, drawn 1 and lost 1.
- Germany made a statement of intent in their most recent match, beating Latvia 7-1.
Our correct score prediction is 2-1 in favour of France.
The goals will be BTTS (Yes).